Thursday 24 December 2015

Mauritius Road Trip Part 2 - Curerpipe, Chamarel, Black river gorge

We drove south and stayed near the Black river gorge on the second part of our holiday

 We went via Curepipe because we wanted to visit this ship model workshop 
http://www.bobatoshipmodels.com/en/home.php

The models were amazing. 
It was really interesting to see how it was done.  
It's called "factory" on the website, but I would say it's just a small workshop - with only 3-4 people working when we were there.  
A range of ship models - different in size, details and PRICETAG! 
They aren't cheap!  
We were tempted to get one but with two little kittens.. the ship will not last long unless we store it in a glass/plastic box. 



We have got this instead.  This dodo bird was made by bamboo!!! 
The different shade of colour was done by burning the bamboo.  


We had lunch at the guesthouse.
We stayed at Vanilla House and we would recommend staying there if you are traveling with a budget.  Very clean and well equipped.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g951345-d3301954-Reviews-Vanilla_House-Riviere_Noire.html

It has a little cafe called Vanilla bean and we had lunch there.
Just simple french cafe food .. 
Smoked salmon souffle


Quiche Lorraine

Creme Brulee 

We then drove to Charmarel.  The drive there was very windly.  
I personally would hate driving on that road... but we did get rewarded with some amazing views:
 
we got that at the end.
Waterfall

Wild cat family - with 3 little kittens :) 
Look very different from the cat here.  Not sure what breed are they .. 

Then we went to the coloured earth.  
We have been warned by other travelers from tripadvisor that it is just a "glorified sandpit" 
I would agree with them :p 


Next to the entrance, there is the curious corner of Chamarel - which I can imagine would be something fun to do if it rains..
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g1168948-d6413027-Reviews-Curious_Corner_of_Chamarel-Chamarel.html

There is a big supermarket at le Gaulette.
Nothing overly exciting but I wish I got some vanilla pod while I was there..
It was the cheapest I have ever seen.
I guess the vanilla are from Madagascar .. rather than locally grown.
The one from St aubin was 15 rupee per gram
so for the same amoutn (150g) - that's  2250 rupee, which is more than double the price. 



For dinner, we went to Kozy garden.
We enjoyed our dinner there.
It has a pool in the middle ... with ome nice seating area either for drinks/dinner.
The restaurant is next to a furniture shop. 





The starters were all very good
Seafood curry Brusetta

Citrus tuna tartare

Ceviche


Main was average
- Chicken curry with banana.
It's a bit weird to have big chunks of cooked banana in the curry..

Veal Escalope

The next day, we went to Black river gorge
It's very pleasant to drive the coastal road in general.  Not too much traffic..
but we have to go through same windly road when we drove to Chamarel.... 


I couldn't really find much information about the Black river gorge national park online.
So I took some photo of the pamphlet I have found at Vanilla house and have put it here.

We were going to try out the Savenne trail - being the shortest and "easy".
But we didn't have time at the end (well .. or we chose the beach over hiking :p )
We just drove to the main viewpoints :p
I don't think the trail will be very well marked.
I would recommend finding a guide if you are keen...




Amazing view at the top



Alice-in-wonderland like :p
didn't see any rabbit hole...

It was Christmas day and many of the restaurants were closed.  
Found this little restaurant - Les Palmiers
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1168948-d3773643-Reviews-Les_Palmiers_Restaurant-Chamarel.html


Palm Heart salad  with bit ofcitrus fruit and pepper

Prawn beignets
 Octopus curry
DON'T ORDER sausage creole style

The food was generally good - starter was nice - had palm heart salad and prawn beignets.
but I was super disappointed with the main I ordered.
My husband ordered octopus curry and it was nice.
I read in the guidebook that sausage croele style is supposed to be really good but I ended up having frankfurter with tomato sauce!!!
It just ruined the whole experience.
I spoke to my Mauritian friend and he told me that I went to the wrong place - it isn't supposed to be like that ..
so yes.. it has to top my "best" Christmas meal EVERRRR... 




No comments:

Post a Comment